Holy Cross Catholic Elementary School
- Principal: Dan Seguin
- Secretary: Tracy Udeschini
- Grades: JK–Gr. 8
- French Immersion & Regular English
- School Parish: St. Peter's
- Enrollment: 160
- Hours of Instruction:
8:50 A.M.–3:10 P.M.
Holy Cross Catholic School is a dual track school, offering an Early French Immersion program and an English Language program, JK to Grade 8, located in the east end area of North Bay. Our school has a rich history and heritage, and proud of our partnership with home and our Parish. Our school community believes that a Catholic School is one in which the teachings of Jesus Christ permeates all aspects of the school day. It is our intention to provide, in partnership with you, the parents and guardians, a stimulating and fun learning environment which will foster the intellectual, spiritual, physical, social and emotional growth of each of the students at Holy Cross. During our school year, we will be focusing on our Catholic virtues to guide us as a faith-filled community and following the lessons of our teacher, Jesus.
Holy Cross Catholic School (formerly John XXIII School) was built in 1963. In 2013-2014, the school was part of an Accommodation Review which resulted in the consolidation of both John XXIII and Corpus Christi Schools. At present, the newly amalgamated John XXIII-Corpus Christi is a dual track school, offering both Regular English and French Immersion programs from JK to Grade 8.
- 1 Library
- 1 Gymnasium
- Large school yard with play structures
More About Our School
For more about our school please visit our school website: http://hcc.npsc.ca/
Here you’ll find monthly school newsletters and calendars, current school news and events, a school photo gallery and more.
How We Live Our Catholic Faith
Our Mission Statement
Our mission at Holy Cross Catholic School (take out John XXIII-Corpus Christi School) is to create an atmosphere of good will, harmony and concern for others and to provide a secure and optimum learning environment where the faith community of the school is nurtured - spiritually, intellectually, emotionally and socially.
We want all who learn and work here to grow into the sense of self-worth (add the hyphen to self-worth) that is essential to the pursuit of excellence. We are committed to observing and fostering personal growth in order that the goals of love for learning, respect for self and others and academic excellence may be realized by all.
It is our belief that every individual is unique, special and worthwhile and should always be treated as such.
Holy Cross Catholic School offers both a Regular English program and a French Immersion program from JK to Grade 8.
For French Immersion, the majority of the student's instruction is in French. In JK/SK 50% of the program is in French and 50% of the program is in English; in grades 1/2 the program is 90/10; in grade 3-6 70/30. In grade 3 English Language Arts are introduced. In grades 7/8 the program is 50%/50% with Math and Science taught in English.
The school provides Special Education services to meet the needs of students with a variety of strengths and needs, supported through Classroom Resource Teachers and Educational Assistants.
Assessing Student Progress
- The school reports to parents three times per year with an interim report in early November, report #1 in January and report #2 in June.
- E.Q.A.O. results are published in September for grade 3 and grade 6 students.
- All staff are using a wide range of strategies to evaluate progress such as tests, daily work, observations, portfolios, self- evaluation, peer evaluation, and summative tests.
- Our resource teacher also provides objective, norm-based testing for those students who require this service.
- Students are very competitive in inter-school junior, intermediate sports.
- Participation and fundraising in local, national and international initiatives.
- Junior and Intermediate French Immersion students have participated in the board finals of the Concours d'Art Oratoire.
- Several of our intermediate students have participated in international student exchanges.
- Cross-Country running for grades 3-8
- Junior & Intermediate Volleyball
- Intermediate Basketball
- Track & Field for grades 3-8
Clubs & Activities
- Recycling Group
- Winter/Spring Play Days
- Participants in international student exchange
- Running Club
- Knitting Club
Plans for the Future
Holy Cross Catholic School will continue to strive for excellence in the areas of faith, academics and citizenship. Our motto is catholicity, literacy, numeracy. This is achieved through continuously improving partnership between the school, home, church and community. We want our students to be positive ambassadors for our school community and to be well prepared for their secondary school studies.